Skip to main content

Giving students real voice: Student Curriculum Hackers

photo (149)

Lots of schools and teachers bang on about giving students a voice, but very few actually allow them to have one.  At Priory Geography, we have developed a strong culture of allowing young people to get involved in making decisions about school life, for example:

Throughout, we have always tried to engage other members of the local community, such as artists, mainly through the excellent and sadly missed Creative Partnerships project.  We’ve also always tried to ensure that the adults are the guides whilst the students drive and create.

Today saw the first session designed to build upon some of the lesson learned during the recent ground-breaking Kids Meet Pompey, put together by Jo Debens and work done by Alan Parkinson a year or so back. 

We wanted to get young people to hack our actual Schemes of Work and have a genuine input in to them.  The rest of this post outlines how the first two hour session went.  Firstly, we aim to hack three Schemes of Work, these being he first units in Year 7,8 and 9.  Today’s session was about setting some ground rules; creating some working conventions and defining the problem.  We decided that teachers were the professionals n terms of meeting the curriculum.

Step 1: Identify the features of a ‘perfect’ lesson

photo (148)

Simple and straightforward brainstorming session here.  We asked students to identify the features of a perfect lesson / unit.  During this session (timed at 15 minutes with a countdown and everything), the young people could ask questions.  These identified restraints such as budget, aims and objectives of the curriculum.  In the image above, they then went on to identify possible barriers to achieving the perfection sought.

Step 2: Prioritise

photo (147)

The students used a simple prioritisation tool.  Within the circle is the stuff we could easily do something about and outside the circle were the factors hat we either couldn’t control or we felt were outside the scope of the project.  The team felt that simple but effective changes would lead to the most impact.  As the group were working in two groups, each had to identify eight priorities that would inform the rest of the session (the actual hacking).

photo (151)

Note the detail in the image above – no single word answers here! One of my favourites and one idea that I will enact is to get older students involved in co-planning and teaching students.  With teh overlap at GCSE this is a desirable outcome.

Step 3 – Hack the curriculum

image

Using the conventions agreed upon, the students accessed our living schemes of work that are kept in Google Docs.  It was important to me that they inputted straight into the actual documents that the Priory Geography Team use.  I loved some of the ideas and it will take some time to unpick.  There were no real rules.

Step 4 – Evaluate

photo (146)

We used mini white boards and my iPhone camera to capture want went well and what could be improved.  Hot seating a teacher is an idea that will be implemented for the next two hour session.

Some of the positives are below, as well as the Rights Respecting framework used to inform some of the ideas:

photo (150)photo (152)

Step 4 Actually listen to them and make changes.

The next step is to share and consider the inputs.  As the whole team can access and comment in Google Docs, I’ll be asking the Priory Geography teachers to take a look and consider what can actually be done.  Then I plan to meet with the Student Curriculum Hack group to let them know before the department’s annual Curriculum Development Day taking place on Saturday 13th July.

Look out for an update this time next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words