Skip to main content

Reflections on #TLAB13 1 of 6: Inspirational Geography workshop

photo (123)
This is the first of six posts reflecting upon the Teaching, Learning and Assessment Conference held at Berkhamsted School.   This post will provide an overview of my talk focused on Geography: Inspirational Geography.
Before I go too far, I must say that the proceeding geography talks by Carmel Greene and John Sayers were the best geography specific workshops that I have attended in a long while.  They were packed with practical ideas that were underpinned with sound theory and research, a key feature to the success of the conference overall.  But more on that later.
It was with some apprehension that I followed these two speakers, making the finishing touches to what I wanted to talk about during the conference.  Although this may seem unorganised, in my defence I take this approach as it means it’s possible to weave the themes of the keynote speakers and other workshops I have seen during the day.  Thank you to the kind words both face-to-face and through Twitter, and I’m pleased that I even received my first international heckle from Pakistan!
The slides for the talk are below, but all of the ideas can be found on this blog.  Going for a title such as ‘Inspirational Geography’ is always a risk, but here’s the breakdown of the session.  The problem that we wanted to solve was an inadequate Geography Department and compliant, yet passive learners.  Most links will take you to other places on this blog, so head to these for more details as I wanted to keep this as concise as possible.


The session started with participants finding that the chairs were all facing the window instead of the presentation.  Two reasons behind this.  The first is that Geography happens outside classrooms and the second was to see what would happen.  When what we expect to happen doesn’t, all sorts of interesting behaviours can be developed.
photo (124)
1. Geography Leadership
We are all leaders, however the secret to any of Priory Geography's successes has been a co-created core vision.  By co-created I mean created by students and the teachers.  This is revisited and developed and shared as a video.  Here is 2012’s edition.  The second technique is to grab up to three artefacts that represent what you want geography to be at your school to be.  See what we came up with here.  What artefacts would represent your geography?
2. (un)planning
The main thrust of the session was the art of (un)planningBy (un)planning I mean, throw out the pre-set proforma and create lesson in which you don’t know what the final outcome will be.  Students sitting in lessons that have a pre-destined end point may as well Google the knowledge that you’re aiming to impart.  (un)planning links to Alistair Smith’s call during the opening keynote to ignore the Ofsted Whisperers. 
I remember Ollie Bray suggesting using the Bing start page in lessons.  Why not use the image at the start of every lesson to encourage and develop geographical questioning and ideas.  For example, at the moment, every Year 10 lessons starts with the Bing Start page and them suggesting which jobs would be linked to its subject.  Students then need to classify these jobs and suggest how they link together with globaliastion.  Here’s today’s image:
image
While you’re there, find out how to access the OS layer of the entire UK. For free.
Go on, get (un)planning!
3. The ideas
There were five ideas that I shared, some of which were low tech and others not so.  Please remember that Priory School is in a country and situation where mobile devices and technology is available, however we are far far from having everything that we need.  It;s about compromise, hacking and creativity.  Follow the links to the original posts.
a) Geography / EAL mashup – thanks to Sam Atkins.
b) Does Iceland Exist? And image Thunks.
c) Geocaching – thanks to Sam Atkins and Jo Debens.  This is a story in aiming high and getting projects to reach across the whole curriculum.
d) Developing literacy at GCSE.
e) RSA Style animations – thanks to Noel Jenkins for the initial inspiration and links.
4. The summing up
a) Ofsted does not kill serendipity and teachers should be driving the curriculum and pedagogy.  Documents are never going to be creative, get over it.
b) Be innovative and don’t use something just off the shelf.  These ideas will only work if adapted to your context.
c) Creativity doesn’t always equal technology.
d) Start with and empty sheet of paper (or however you plan) and not a blank PPT / Prezi etc..  Lessons should be underpinned by sound learning objectives and outcomes and then resourced.
e) Take pedagogic risks.
f) Use what you have but better.  This includes textbooks and, most importantly, your existing networks from school level to international through Twitter.
g) Never be afraid to stir up naughtiness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Impact, Low effort

This month is the start of the #29daysofwriting challenge.  I enjoyed this last year and will be using my Staffrm account to post.  I'll also be reporting here, both to give a little more detail and to keep a log of what I have written. The challenge developed a great sense of community last year, which is why I'm choosing to write on Staffrm. What I would say to those who are new to writing or don't want to run out of ideas is: Write for yourself. Clarify an idea, write something out loud. The process of distilling thoughts into writing is immensely beneficial to your practice. If other read, comment and respond, that's a bonus. Ignore the muppets who know nothing of your context, style or students. Mix it up - I like to read about real stuff from real classrooms and schools and also about other stuff.  If we always write about school, how does that work for workload? If you've nothing nice to say, don't say it. So, the following has been 

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).