Skip to main content

Simple but effective ideas: Iceland does not exist

image

I have to say that I’ve been struggling this week with fatigue and a little loss of inspiration.  There’s also a shed load going on so I hadn’t really had a huge amount of time to put too much planning into my Year 7 lessons this week.  So with a little inspiration from Daniel from my friends at the Geography Collective and the words of some bloke I met at a GSMA meeting ringing in my ears (It’s about the device not the behaviour… #whateverWinking smile).

The lesson started by a classic map detectives activity.  Students had to consider the map below taken from the Icelandic Met Office website.  I asked them to tell me what the map showed. I banned them from answering with ‘Iceland’ or ‘the earthquakes in Iceland in the past 48 hours’ and hinted toward some mapping work from a previous lesson where we considered the positioning of the tectonic plates.

image

This allowed me to get around the room and help those who needed it.  Answers ranged, but most got to the main thrust:

  • Earthquakes occur where the plate boundaries are or around Eyjafjallajokull.
  • Earthquakes are concentrated in the South West corner of the country, with a narrow line through the main icecap.

I then wrote the following on the board:

image

We then conducted a traditional think, pair, share activity where I asked the students how they would go about proving that the country did exist, after all nobody had been there.  The following resources were available:

  • Students own devices (a tapoestry of devices) accesing our schools WiFi network so 1:1 access was achieved;
  • A range of school phones and tablets;
  • Any book in the room (there are many).

What followed was a heated discussion – for example how do we know that Google maps can be trusted when it has Iceland shown? Answer – does it look the same on Bing maps?  How do we know that it is Iceland? Answer – turn on the webcam layer, find one and then compare to today’s Iceland weather observations.  We also looked at various News websites.  The list we boiled down was our evidence had to be:

  • Reliable;
  • Back up (not by the A-Team but by other sources of information);
  • Contain specific facts that could be verified (such as population numbers, who founded Iceland), or
  • Be something that affected the UK.

I also showed the following video, just because it was cool and gave some thinking time:

Then the class were given 20 minutes to produce a one minute speech, with names in a random name generator to share.

The lesson was a bit ad-hoc, but the resulting work was of high quality, assessable and a bit of a laugh for all involved (especially as everyone decided that I wasn’t to be trusted….)

Comments

  1. David
    I'm so jealous. My geography lessons were never this good. I've now been to Iceland twice and am determined to go again.
    This year we climbed Hekla and visited pretty much everywhere else.
    Time for a weird Iceland fact. The country is obsessed with Golf and as a result has more golf holes per head of capita than any other country on earth.
    While I love volcanoes and anything to do with plate tectonics, I also love golf. The plan is that the next visit will incorporate chasing a ball round a field.
    Can't wait for Katla to blow. The power of nature is inspiring.

    Iain McGlade - iain.mcglade@euroele - @kiltedsplendour

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words