Skip to main content

Why developing outdoor education is important

This is me. Around 3 years old in the back garden of my house in the Rhondda Valleys. From a very early age I have been lucky enough to be encouraged to explore the outdoors. I think that all teachers should be using and encouraging outdoor learning. In this post I intend to outline why. To me the barriers of excess risk assessment (it's not that difficult and, in my view, forms an essential part of trip planning) and staff cover (there are always ways around that).

I should add that this is all from a personal perspective of being a qualified mountain leader, general outdoors bod and the experiences of using the outdoors in teaching.
Stories, seeing other places is one of the best things that young people can do. Getting into scrapes, pushing personal boundaries, and getting out of the comfort zone all expand perspective. This has a huge, positive, effect on young people's self esteem.

Friends: The outdoors is a life long journey of learning. As well as fitness, my most enduring friendships are those that were forged during an epic encounter with the wilds.

Personal Development: Many of the skills that employers are looking for can be developed in the outdoor environment. I am, naturally a shy type, honest ;). Through the outdoors I was able to develop team work, social skills, organisation and evaluations skills. I also learnt to take most things with a pinch of salt, and not to be afraid to look silly! My fussy eating also vanished, as if you don't eat the food then your go hungry!

Problem solving: So how do you get the person snoring the roof down out of the dorm? What should I prioritise with? Extra food or full waterproofs?

Collaboration: One of the most valuable skills developed in the outdoors is collaboration. I soon learnt that going it alone was not the best way to earn the trust of my climbing partners. I had to adapt. For example, one of the toughest lessons for young people in the outdoors to learn is to move at the pace of the slowest person. I have seen young people develop this skill and then develop subtle ways of not letting their team mates feel bad. I remember one particular lad who would pretend to tie his shoe laces in order to let people catch up.

So how can this be developed? Of course, my view is that every school should be encouraging residentials to outdoor centres, the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme and adventure. However, you can encourage a young persons interest by helping them to find a local caving/climbing/biking club, or just by listening to their stories of exploration and adventure. In addition, instead of staying inside, let's get outside more!

Comments

  1. I completely agree with the above comment, the internet is with a doubt growing into the most important medium of communication across the globe and its due to sites like this that ideas are spreading so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful! Thanks for sharing this great experience. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its awesome thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words